Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art and bokeh (new pics 4/11/2014)

Started Apr 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
alabaster Senior Member • Posts: 1,581
Re: the expectations merry go round

From what I can see so far, Sigma said what they were going to do, and did it, and priced well below what was expected for that level of quality. They aren't in the business of creating the greatest bokeh, they are after razor sharp detail and microcontrast, stuff that sings in the studio or in landscapes. I can't fault a company for meeting the aim it set itself.

The flip side of course is that Nikon set out to make a lens with great image characteristics in the 58mm and it did exactly what they wanted it to do, and they were slated for not achieving higher scores shooting at test chart distances in the far corners. Again the problem is expectations. Both the nikon 58 and sigma 50 are great for what they are supposed to do, all those testing labs will of course love the sigma, and the bokeh lovers will appreciate the nikon.

Nothing wrong with either lens as long as you get what you need for your own photography.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich

Have a look at the title of the thread - the OP was interested in an opinion on bokeh.

There's no hype here. It looks like Sigma succeeded in their design goals as you say.

However, after they achieved those goals, don't be surprised that some perople (me!) will still be dissapointed that they can't have nicely rendered blur as well.

-- hide signature --
 alabaster's gear list:alabaster's gear list
Nikon D2H Olympus E-M1 Nikon D810 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow