Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art and bokeh (new pics 4/11/2014)

Started Apr 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
TQGroup
TQGroup Senior Member • Posts: 1,385
Re: Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art and bokeh (new pics 4/11/2014)

David Whysong wrote:

TQGroup wrote:

I've also had a quick look at Lens Tip's photos concentrating on the F1.4 images.

To my eye, the "bokeh" looks very Sigma-typical with pronounced circular highlights that I do not like at all; viz the fifth image down, centre column and just look at the highlights on those cars...

Pronounced circular highlights? Really? This is a 100% crop of a background highlight from that photo:

This is pretty good bokeh, much as one might expect from a well-corrected lens. The blur circle is not edge-brightened, and it's noticeably better than the 35/1.4 Art.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to contribute this post David. I appreciate both your effort and opinion.

Perhaps you may wish to look at the specific example I mentioned in my post (the fifth image down, centre column) from the Lens Tip example page...

Lens Tip Sigma 50 ART example 100% crop

Now, my eyes are not as young as they used to be and everyone has a legitimately different idea about "great" bokeh... but what I see here does not make my heart beat faster nor make my hand reach for my wallet!

Cheers Andrew

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow