Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art and bokeh (new pics 4/11/2014)

Started Apr 11, 2014 | Discussions thread
TQGroup
TQGroup Senior Member • Posts: 1,307
Re: Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art and bokeh (new pics 4/11/2014)

colombiano wrote:

Some more examples at lenstip:

http://www.lenstip.com/2084-news-Sigma_A_50_mm_f_1.4_DG_HSM_-_sample_images.html

To me, it's very good, without ring highlights and it's smooth in the back and also in front of focus plane - even in most demanding bokeh shots with trees branches backround. It's also very sharp and contrasty at 1.4! (look at postbox photo). If I'd be in market for a 50mm lens, this would be definitely strong contender. I have a Zeiss Planar 50mm 1.4 and it can't be compared to this Sigma - Zeiss is inferior. From what I could conclude from those pictures, my Zeiss is about equal at F2.8 to Sigma at F1.4 (comparing central sharpness and contrast)...

It seems that Sigma has another winner here...

Regards,

I've also had a quick look at Lens Tip's photos concentrating on the F1.4 images.

To my eye, the "bokeh" looks very Sigma-typical with pronounced circular highlights that I do not like at all; viz the fifth image down, centre column and just look at the highlights on those cars...

The necessary sharpness is certainly there but, IMHO, the images of this very beautiful woman render rather "flat" with no "pop" at all. They certainly do not make her look "even more beautiful!"

Based on my very quick assessment of these photos, and I'd like to see a lot more before forming a definite opinion, I suggest this lens will be ideal for recording "faithful" images rather than rendering "beautiful" images. From this first impression, there is certainly no "ART" about this lens!

Still, one swallow does not a summer make...

TQGroup's gear list:TQGroup's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow