Live view on D600 worthless?

Started Apr 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
BasiliskPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,008
Re: Live view on D600 worthless?

I agree that using LiveView on G lenses on the D600 is a bit of an effort in futility. The D800 apparently has another motor to drive the aperture in live view, which is missing on the D600.

I find LiveView so useful, I only buy lenses with aperture rings for this reason.

Exposure preview can be a bit rough and ready (remember your picture profile settings will affect liveview - it is more a preview of jpg than of raw - but the LCD is 8 bit so they can't really show the whole range of raw anyway). But focus preview and DOF preview are much better than you get from the OVF. To my mind it is the best way of using classic lenses like 50mm f1.2 AI/S.

A viewfinder loupe (the cheap ones if you don't need dioptre adjustment) are essential for using liveview in daylight, and allow you to get really close so you can see the actual pixels buzz when edges are in focus. Strong reading glasses are another option.

Is LiveView useful? - look at this guys thread using a 200mm f2 AIS and his setup.

Would I rather use a Sony A7? - yes, but I also need a camera that can shoot fast action, so I use what I have.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow