Best approach for backup/archiving?

Started Apr 10, 2014 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,060
Best approach for backup/archiving?

I am admittedly way behind in my storage and backup solution. Up till now, all my images have been kept on my PC’s hard drive. When space gets tight I move files to an external drive. At some point, I also backed up my images to the same external drive, but that was months ago.

Obviously this is a disaster waiting to happen. I am ready to get my act together, but I need some help sorting out the best approach. Honestly, I am a bit overwhelmed with all the options. And unfortunately I can’t afford anything too elaborate (trying to stay in the $150-$250 range). Here are some of the options I have read about…

1) Get USB external drives and some kind of backup software to manage the process. I figure I would use 2 drives where I would download/sort/edit originals off one drive and have the 2nd drive as a duplicate (RAID 1). I have no idea what software is best for this.

2) Same as above, but using a 2-bay dock. That would make it easier to swap drives and might come with RAID utility(?). It might also be a more flexible solution with a chance to grow towards #3.

3) Buy a 4 or 5 bay RAID array. This would have redundancy built in (as I understand it), so I wouldn’t need to buy software to automate that. This seems like a better long term solution, but is too expensive at the moment.

Along with the question of which approach is best, I also am completely unfamiliar with brand names. So any insights on reliable brands for hardware or software would be very helpful. Oh, and to give you an idea of capacity, I have about 500 GB of data to back up (RAW files plus .psd files and finished jpegs). But I recently bought a D610 which has larger files and I plan on editing from some form of external drive to keep free space on my system drive. As you can tell, I'm a bit lost so any help will be greatly appreciated.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D610
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow