Live view on D600 worthless?

Started Apr 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
Robin Casady Forum Pro • Posts: 12,898
Re: D800E Live View

swestphotos wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

Visually, and for manual focusing, Live View on the D800E is crap if you use the cameras LCD. With a CamRanger, LV is sweet. I use it mostly for studio macro work. Haven't tried it with astrophotography (need to relube and adjust my mount).

Exposure emulation was always on with Live View in the D800E when it was released. A firmware update fixed the problem. With the upgrade you simply hit the OK button and it toggles between exposure emulation and not. It is important to be able to turn exposure emulation off for use with strobes. Otherwise the screen is just black.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Camranger does look nice, something I'm interested in getting at some point. Curious if that motorized mount is worthy of a purchase.

I bought the motorized mount on sale. Worthy is subjective. How necessary is automating a panorama? It probably isn't any faster than doing it manually.

It does appear useful for smooth pans for video. You can pan horizontally at the same time as tilting the camera up or down.

It doesn't seem very solid, but in practice it did well with a D800E and 300mm f/4. This is a test pano from my bedroom balcony with the 300mm. The bottom image is a 100% crop. The buildings are not straight because I didn't level it properly.

I complained to them that the software wouldn't automate multi-row panos. They said they were working on it.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow