Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
dradam Senior Member • Posts: 2,814
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Austinian wrote:

dradam wrote:

Interesting. I haven't had the time to get update 1 yet. Is the "Apps by name" any different than it was before? I haven't read that it was due for a change.

I actually can't say; I'm not familiar with how it looked before, since it had been so long since I was in Metro mode.

I do wish it was possible to perhaps expand and collapse items in that view. I don't really want to scroll past 19 different Nikon icons to get to the second half of the alphabet.

That's a good idea. The Apps screen was full of useless stuff like multiple languages' documentation for software I don't use. Too much distraction.

Perhaps a collapsible, hierarchichal Apps screen could be designed with the best features of both methods.

Sheer wild speculation: maybe we'll see a Windows 9 with an "Apps" menu in place of the "Start" menu, that behaves as you describe.

Sheer dreaming: it's configurable as to what's displayed and how it's displayed.

Actually, the Start Menu itself is on its way back. Likely even before the release of Win9.

http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-is-bringing-the-start-menu-back-to-windows-8-1557023798

I do hope after things settle we'll end up with a system with significantly more customization options, along with the ability to adapt to device/input type to determine default behavior (this was actually the biggest thing about update 1 that Ive read about).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow