Zeiss 16-70 and Canon 18-55 STM reviewed on EPZ

Started Apr 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP wadia13 Regular Member • Posts: 151
Re: Zeiss 16-70 and Canon 18-55 STM reviewed on EPZ

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Ephotozine reviewed the Canon kit lens on a Canon 600D and the Zeiss 16-70 on a NEX7. Despite the NEX7 having a higher pixel count sensor, the MTF charts for both indicate its a very tight contest with Zeiss being a bit better on the long end. EPZ gave Canon 4.5 stars and Zeiss 3.5 stars in the 'performance' category.

But the issue is the Zeiss costs at least 5 times more than the Canon kit lens. Of course this isn't the whole picture and its 2 totally different systems but it's still revealing. See links below. I don't mean to criticize any lens here or offend any fanboys/girls in any camp. Just thought it was interesting to read both reviews side by side.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/carl-zeiss-vario-tessar-e-16-70mm-f-4-za-oss-t--review-24059

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-review-22124

So, how did the 18-55 perform at 16mm and at 70mm, and also at 55mm at f/4?

I get your sarcasm. If you're happy in paying around $1,000 for the Zeiss, that's great for you. I see that many people indeed are happy, which is great for Sony's profit.

Perhaps comparing Sony's newest 16-50 kit lens to Canon newest 18-55 kit lens is more appropriate. I have yet to find a website which has reviewed both with a higher rating for the Sony. In fact, its just the opposite.

Its not just sarcasm but reality that you need to get a taste of. What makes you so desperate to go trolling?

If you want to talk about reality, the reality as far as I'm concerned (and also for many others based on these forums) is that in terms of kit lens, Sony's current offerings seem to be below average. And the reality is there are several review websites that have also concluded that (in terms of comparison to kit lens from other brands such as Canon). And to get something better, Zeiss doesn't seem to offer good value for money although many disagree with that assertion. In fact, I may end up buying the 16-70 given its light weight, more than acceptable IQ, good zoom range, and lack of any 1 lens alternatives for Sony E mount (if I switch to Sony that is).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow