Apple Aperture software

Started Mar 29, 2014 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 10,186
Definitely worth a try.

rwbaron wrote:

Looking for opinions from those familiar with using Aperture With Canon RAW files. I'm considering switching from years of PC's to a MacBook Pro 15 and am interested in Aperture. I use CS5 and have LR3 but rarely use LR. I shoot RAW exclusively and frankly convert and work with most of my files with DPP and only use CS5 when a file needs special attention like burning and dodging or keystone correction. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a free trial offer on Aperture so I'd prefer not to buy something I won't use if it's not that capable or doesn't render Canon RAW files well.

Without getting into the ridiculous "Which is better" argument, let me just reassure you that Aperture is an excellent tool for managing, editing, adjusting and even retouching your Canon RAW files. Since you stated that you like Aperture's UI, I should mention that this is one of Aperture's strengths. Those of us who are committed Aperture users and fans generally rank Aperture's UI, mode-free operation, and DAM tools among the top selling points. That said, I think Aperture's adjusting and retouching tools are also excellent. I retouch all my corporate portraits shot on backdrops entirely within Aperture. I use Aperture to operate my high-volume event photography business, and there's hardly anything I need that Aperture doesn't do quickly. For that rare image that needs special noise reduction or sharpening, I use Nik's excellent plugins.

I shot Canon RAWs for 12 years before recently converting to Micro Four Thirds. I always liked Aperture's RAW conversions. The only thing it didn't handle well was blown out highlights from hyper-saturated colored LED stage lights, which are problematic for any RAW converter due to channel clipping. I tested LR and found it only marginally better. DPP performed best for those images, but the lack of any real DAM tools and the extremely rudimentary adjustment tools sent me back to Aperture in a big hurry.

-- hide signature --

jacquescornell.com

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow