Live view on D600 worthless?

Started Apr 9, 2014 | Discussions thread
arrr
arrr Senior Member • Posts: 1,910
D3200

arrr wrote:

It says you own the d3200 and d7000 as well as the d610, so you don't have exposure simulation on any of those I'm guessing? Someone with the D800 says that it does have it.

Thanks for letting me know the name of the feature... now I can google it!

They don't have it. I'll double check the d610 manual but I have not been able to find any option to enable it in the camera's menus.

I wasn't able to find any exposure preview or exposure simulation for the D610 in the manual. Odd thing is when switched to Liveview Video Mode and you take a Photo, the still image exposure is taken at the settings the camera had before you entered into LV (for VIDEO). So if I had the camera set to 1/200th second f1.8 ISO 800 and change the exposure to 1/30th second ISO 100; The actual exposure would be 1/200th second f1.8 ISO 800 which were the settings I had before I entered live view. I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

Of all my cameras the D3200 works the best in LV but it has limitations. To get Exposure Simulation, set Movie Settings- Manual Movie Settings to ON. This will bring up a live exposure meter on the bottom right hand side of the LCD and the settings you change will be reflected in realtime with LV for both stills and video. The limitation is that 1/30th or 1/60th second is the minimum shutter speed that you can select depending on what video recording mode you are using at the time. So this is pretty much useless for nightscapes but ok if you are recording video and need a quick still image.

It's a shame that you can not turn Image Review off when using LV on the D3200. Setting Image Review to OFF in the menu only works in stills mode. That setting is completely ignored in LV mode. It may not sound like a problem but it does make LV shooting on the D3200 laggy.

arrr's gear list:arrr's gear list
Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow