Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,533
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

chillzatl wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

It has detracted from keyboard/mouse use because of how often it drags you back into the touch-optimized environment. It's not a balanced system, it's a system that keeps pushing you to use the touch interface. That's why people hate it. If MS would just let desktop users live happily in their desktop environment then Windows 8 wouldn't have gotten the bad rap that it has.

While there is absolutely truth in what you say, I do not agree that that's why people hate it. Most "people" that hate it, have no experience with it. They just hate it because they read something from someone else who hated it and went with it.

I haven't seen much difference in attitudes of people who have vs. haven't tried it.   It's not as if everyone who's tried it likes it.   And even if most of those dissing it really are just "lurkers" my point still stands - the reason they're dissing it is because of Microsoft trying to push desktop users into the touch interface.  If they hadn't done that then there wouldn't have been such a big basis for criticism from anyone, lurker or user alike.  The bad reputation it's earned is a direct result of Microsoft's touch UI strategy.

I understand why they pursued that strategy, but I also think that the market reaction was predictable and pretty much inevitable.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow