Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

dradam wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

dradam wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

dradam wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

WryCuda wrote:

Today I helped a friend set up a new computer with Windows 8.1. Seems like a half-hearted attempt at a touch-screen OS; luckily I was soon able to revert to the Desktop mode.

Yes, apparently Windows 8 was live tiles only. Due to the backlash 8.1 was released which gave access to the desktop.

Blatantly false. Windows 8 has always included a desktop.

...and everything I read about Win 8 was what a PITA it was to get to the desktop and stay there. Using it comfortably required installing a shell or some other fix. Boneheaded move.

Boneheaded if true, but it's not. The desktop has only ever been one keystroke away, and once you set your default programs how you like them, and your taskbar organized how you like (a necessity in every other version of Windows, by the way) you could go for days without ever seeing the metro screen.

If it were that easy then MS wouldn't have had to release 8.1.

Well, the method of getting to the desktop didn't change from 8.0 to 8.1, so I'm not sure what you think you're saying here.

All I'm saying is that MS made it more difficult than necessary to use the desktop.  Win 8.1, by all accounts I've read, made it easier.

I'll save you further typing by not replying any longer.  You seem to be taking this personally and/or just want to argue for the sake of it.

Reply if you wish, but I won't be reading it.

Mark

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow