dradam Senior Member • Posts: 2,814
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Mark B. wrote:

dradam wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

dradam wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

WryCuda wrote:

Today I helped a friend set up a new computer with Windows 8.1. Seems like a half-hearted attempt at a touch-screen OS; luckily I was soon able to revert to the Desktop mode.

Yes, apparently Windows 8 was live tiles only. Due to the backlash 8.1 was released which gave access to the desktop.

Blatantly false. Windows 8 has always included a desktop.

...and everything I read about Win 8 was what a PITA it was to get to the desktop and stay there. Using it comfortably required installing a shell or some other fix. Boneheaded move.

Boneheaded if true, but it's not. The desktop has only ever been one keystroke away, and once you set your default programs how you like them, and your taskbar organized how you like (a necessity in every other version of Windows, by the way) you could go for days without ever seeing the metro screen.

If it were that easy then MS wouldn't have had to release 8.1.

Well, the method of getting to the desktop didn't change from 8.0 to 8.1, so I'm not sure what you think you're saying here.

Windows RT is a version of Windows that is designed to run on ARM based processors. While it too includes a desktop, it is limited to use by Windows system processes and Office.

Not sure what this has to do with anytyhing.

You seemed very confused about there existing some version of windows "without a desktop". I was clarifying that there IS a version that almost fits that description, but clarifying that it was a special, ARM tablet only version.

I'm not confused at all. I'm aware of RT, but it's a specialized OS that doesn't apply to the discussion at hand.

It's relevant because it is the ONLY version of Windows that has ever been "live tiles only" (your words).  If you weren't confusing the two, then you were simply wrong about regular Windows 8.

What was MS thinking? The only reason that I was able to make much sense of the Start mode was that I am familiar with the iPad. Seems that the rather curious "Start Button" has now grown to encompass the whole screen.

Haven't the foggiest what their thinking was - I guess they assumed the entire population of Window users were going to toss their desktops out the window in favor of a Windows tablet. Sorry MS, the desktop still does many things that I can't do with a tablet.

Desktop has been there since the beginning. It's almost like you've made all these opinions without having used it for even a second.

An odd strategy to say the least.

Ummm, yes as I mentioned I am in the process of migrating. I can absolutely see why there was such a backlash against Windows 8. A tile- and touch-based OS is less than ideal for a desktop system.

Easier for touch, not harder for mouse. A big tile is much easier to select with your finger, but it is also easier to select with a mouse. Navigating the Start Menu required simply too much precision to be really efficient.

Maybe after a few months I'll rave about it, but right now I find it cumbersome. Maybe I just need to customize the tiles away from the default settings.

Learn to use the Windows key on your keyboard more, and it will become very easy indeed.  I know where I have everything pinned on my Start Screen, so opening a new program simply involves moving my cursor to that general area, hitting the windows key, re centering the cursor to the correct program, and clicking (and it takes me back to the desktop).  It takes less than a second.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow