Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
chillzatl Regular Member • Posts: 431
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Sean Nelson wrote:

It has detracted from keyboard/mouse use because of how often it drags you back into the touch-optimized environment. It's not a balanced system, it's a system that keeps pushing you to use the touch interface. That's why people hate it. If MS would just let desktop users live happily in their desktop environment then Windows 8 wouldn't have gotten the bad rap that it has.

While there is absolutely truth in what you say, I do not agree that that's why people hate it. Most "people" that hate it, have no experience with it. They just hate it because they read something from someone else who hated it and went with it. Just look at the number of posts here from people asking about it but having hesitations "because of what someone said". It's downhill from there because of all the halfcocked "advice" you get from people here. I don't disagree that Microsoft's execution of the product was less than optimal, but the way some people blow it out of proportion you'd think it was Windows Vista in its first six months. Which oddly enough there are plenty of people here who also try to make that comparison, as absurd as it is. The noise level is off the charts here sometimes, but that's another post for another day.

IMO it still stands as the most stable, most secure and best performing out of the box desktop operating system that they've ever released. I've not encountered a single aspect of it that I would consider broken and I would probably have to go back to Dos to say that about any Microsoft desktop OS ever, though Windows 2000 might be close. It happen to have one divisive aspect about it, one that can be fixed in about 30 seconds, but that hardly taints the other fantastic aspects of it, at least IMO, ymmv.

and for all the hate it gets, it's still got more market share than OSX and Linux combined... so there's that at least...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow