Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
mpwolf Regular Member • Posts: 109
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

WryCuda wrote:

Today I helped a friend set up a new computer with Windows 8.1. Seems like a half-hearted attempt at a touch-screen OS; luckily I was soon able to revert to the Desktop mode.

What was MS thinking? The only reason that I was able to make much sense of the Start mode was that I am familiar with the iPad. Seems that the rather curious "Start Button" has now grown to encompass the whole screen.

My friend, previously a Windows XP user, was totally mystified by the whole process of setting up the new computer.

Part of the process involved registering with Microsoft in order to download software; just a little bit like the App Store, don't you think? I was able to quickly progress through this hurdle only because I keep a dormant Hotmail account.

Anyhow, it seems to be working well. An i7 processor with 16Gb RAM doesn't mess around! The all-in-one design of the computer does away with a lot of cabling. Next phase will be transferring email and setting up legacy applications.

Any comments welcome. This is not a PC vs. Apple war; I'm a long-time Windows user.

I just updated from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. On my PC (ThinkPad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD), Windows 8.1 is noticeably faster to boot than Windows 7 was. The OS itself also feels snappier. I've pretty much done away with any of the Metro apps (uninstalled what I could, unpinned the rest), so my Start screen has only a single tile that takes me to my desktop. I also have it set to boot to the desktop and installed Start8 from Stardock, which gave me back my start menu for something like $5.

Given that Windows 8.1 now operates very similar to Windows 7 on my PC, just faster, I'm quickly warming to it. Start8 was the key.

EDIT: Also, as some have pointed out, you don't need to login via your Microsoft account during installation. When it asks you to log in, click whatever is similar to "Create a Microsoft account" rather than filling in your information. On the next page, don't sign up At the bottom of the page, there's an option similar to "Continue without creating a Microsoft account". Click that and it will set up a local account where you can choose your username (otherwise it defaults to the first name in your Microsoft account).

Another workaround may be to not connect to the internet during installation (skip the WiFi connection screen). I *think* this will then bypass the Microsoft account setup crap.

- M

mpwolf's gear list:mpwolf's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow