Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,702
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

scorrpio wrote:

The initial Win 8 experience for most users has been of high annoyance, and first impression matters a LOT. As a result, many people took steps to make sure they never saw Metro on their screens again.

That was my experience as well. I like new PC toys, and I bought the cheap Win 8 upgrade when MS offered it. I'd read about the new Metro UI, but not in any detail.

I disconnected my PC from the Net (didn't want Win 8 to activate yet) installed it on a spare drive, and booted up to one of the least old-Windows-user-friendly screens I've seen in years.

My reaction was "what is this ****? What do I do now?" then "Why am I wasting time with this when I have a perfectly good Win 7 install?"

I returned the drive to the backup rotation and put the Win 8 install DVD away. I didn't see Win 8 again till I bought an ultracheap laptop with Win 8. By then I'd heard about Classic Shell,. After I installed CS and did a few registry tweaks, Win 8 worked just fine.

Later, I clean-installed that Win 8 upgrade to my desktop PC. With CS.

For me, Win 8's problems are entirely UI-related; once those are fixed it's at least as good as Win 7 and slightly superior in some ways.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony a77 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow