Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
dradam Senior Member • Posts: 2,812
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Mark B. wrote:

dradam wrote:

hdr wrote:

hotdog321 wrote:

I think it was just an lame attempt to create a cross-platform OS that would work for desktops, tablets and cell phones. A very sensible idea, but poorly implemented. Pig ugly and clunky, I see that Windows 9 is already due to arrive later this year.

The resulting animal is to all intents and purposes a weird and clumsy monster at best, with some characteristic of every device but never an efficiently workable pedigree.

In this regard, MS should take a leaf from Apple - have separate operating systems for each platform, namely IOS for mobile and OSx for desktops/laptops. Why MS apparently did not think of this is puzzling to say the least. Conceivably, rough seas are ahead for them?

Because the desktop/laptop/tablet line is progressively blurring and making an arbitrary distinction like that is limiting.

I just bought a $250 Dell tablet and, after my desktop, it is the 2nd most powerful computer I've ever owned. Why should I be pigeon holed into using JUST a tablet interface? With a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard, I have a perfectly capable "desktop" machine.

Additionally, say what you will about Win8 on the desktop, but it is far and away the best tablet interface I've ever seen. The ease of navigation, of switching between apps, and of multitasking is completely unparalleled, even by iOS.

That's the problem - it's a great tablet OS, but a poor desktop OS. It is painfully obvious the interface was designed for optimal use on a tablet. However it's cumbersome at best for a desktop system, even with a touchscreen. Who wants to operate a destktop by constantly reaching straight out to carry out commands?

It's not an either/or type of thing.  It's a great tablet OS and a very good desktop OS.  Just because something has been retooled to work better with touch than it did before, doesn't mean it necessarily has detracted from mouse/keyboard use.  The only people that would ever try to actually reach out and touch their desktop screen is someone who really wants to, and the OS would work just fine like that.  But failing that, the mouse and keyboard is still there and perfectly usable.

I personally find the start screen to be significantly more useful than the Start Menu ever was.  Having everything I need, laid out exactly how I want, and organized in a logical way, is much better than a tiny menu full of long folder trees.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow