Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 22,356
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

dradam wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

WryCuda wrote:

Today I helped a friend set up a new computer with Windows 8.1. Seems like a half-hearted attempt at a touch-screen OS; luckily I was soon able to revert to the Desktop mode.

Yes, apparently Windows 8 was live tiles only. Due to the backlash 8.1 was released which gave access to the desktop.

Blatantly false.  Windows 8 has always included a desktop.

...and everything I read about Win 8 was what a PITA it was to get to the desktop and stay there.  Using it comfortably required installing a shell or some other fix.  Boneheaded move.

Windows RT is a version of Windows that is designed to run on ARM based processors.  While it too includes a desktop, it is limited to use by Windows system processes and Office.

Not sure what this has to do with anytyhing.

What was MS thinking? The only reason that I was able to make much sense of the Start mode was that I am familiar with the iPad. Seems that the rather curious "Start Button" has now grown to encompass the whole screen.

Haven't the foggiest what their thinking was - I guess they assumed the entire population of Window users were going to toss their desktops out the window in favor of a Windows tablet. Sorry MS, the desktop still does many things that I can't do with a tablet.

Desktop has been there since the beginning.  It's almost like you've made all these opinions without having used it for even a second.

An odd strategy to say the least.

Ummm, yes as I mentioned I am in the process of migrating.  I can absolutely see why there was such a backlash against Windows 8.  A tile- and touch-based OS is less than ideal for a desktop system.

Mark

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow