Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
scorrpio
scorrpio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,595
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Desktop was there, but staying on it was a pain.   I make heavy use of start menu and jump lists, and being thrown back to Metro every time I clicked where Start button used to be, was annoying to say the least.   Say, I got a Premiere window open, as well as a couple Explorer windows, and maybe others, if I click on an mp3 file in a folder, in Win 7 by default I get a small media player window.   In Win 8, my entire screen is suddenly taken by 'Music' app, and I have to look for dratted charm corners to kill the thing and get back to my desktop.    Yes, it is just a matter of setting a default program for mp3's, but does it really take a genius to figure out that a user working in desktop is likely to prefer a desktop application when he opens a file?   The initial Win 8 experience for most users has been of high annoyance, and first impression matters a LOT.  As a result, many people took steps to make sure they never saw Metro on their screens again.   The whole thing backfired on MS in mobile market as well.   Their tablet and phone sales are not exactly booming.

Why couldn't OS determine what kind of system it was, and present an initially familiar experience.   Tiles, including live tiles, available direct on desktop.   Metro apps opening in windows when in desktop mode.   The Media Center in Win 7 is a beautiful example of radically different UI that can be invoked when necessary, but stays from underfoot when not needed.    Media Center also has an option to launch at startup - great for dedicated HTPCs.   If Metro was implemented more like Media Center, Win 8 would get a much warmer welcome.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow