Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 24,146
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

WryCuda wrote:

Today I helped a friend set up a new computer with Windows 8.1. Seems like a half-hearted attempt at a touch-screen OS; luckily I was soon able to revert to the Desktop mode.

Yes, apparently Windows 8 was live tiles only.  Due to the backlash 8.1 was released which gave access to the desktop.

What was MS thinking? The only reason that I was able to make much sense of the Start mode was that I am familiar with the iPad. Seems that the rather curious "Start Button" has now grown to encompass the whole screen.

Haven't the foggiest what their thinking was - I guess they assumed the entire population of Window users were going to toss their desktops out the window in favor of a Windows tablet.  Sorry MS, the desktop still does many things that I can't do with a tablet.

My friend, previously a Windows XP user, was totally mystified by the whole process of setting up the new computer.

Part of the process involved registering with Microsoft in order to download software; just a little bit like the App Store, don't you think? I was able to quickly progress through this hurdle only because I keep a dormant Hotmail account.

Yep, that's exactly what it is.

Anyhow, it seems to be working well. An i7 processor with 16Gb RAM doesn't mess around! The all-in-one design of the computer does away with a lot of cabling. Next phase will be transferring email and setting up legacy applications.

Any comments welcome. This is not a PC vs. Apple war; I'm a long-time Windows user.

I too am in the process of upgrading from a Vista system - i7 based with a 256GB SSD primary drive and 12GB ram.  I added dual internal 3TB drives.  I'm learning to work with the new desktop; I understand there is an 8.1.1 release just available that will bring back the 'old' Start button. 
I would have preferred a Win 7 system.  My laptop is Win 7 and it's great to work with.  The 8.1 desktop systems seemed to have better specs.  I probably could have purchased all the components on my own and assembled them myself but I don't have enough patience or time.  8.1 isn't terrible, but it certainly wasn't well thought out.  Clearly MS should have had a separate OS for tablets.

Mark

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow