Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP WryCuda Senior Member • Posts: 6,704
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

hdr wrote:

The resulting animal is to all intents and purposes a weird and clumsy monster at best, with some characteristic of every device but never an efficiently workable pedigree.

In this regard, MS should take a leaf from Apple - have separate operating systems for each platform, namely IOS for mobile and OSx for desktops/laptops. Why MS apparently did not think of this is puzzling to say the least. Conceivably, rough seas are ahead for them?

But as a PC user, it will a happy day if and when Windows 7, or for that matter, even Windows XP, is supported indefinitely with new desktop/laptop versions, while Windows Mobile co-exists for smartphones and tablets.

Downloading Classic Shell for Windows 8.1 cures a lot of problems. I was then able to install some necessary utilities and legacy software with no difficulty, set up email, install a printer etc. As far as I can tell, everything is where you expect it to be, including a file manager.

My family has been heavy users of Windows applications for about 20 years, and it has been my role to maintain the hardware and software. As far as they are concerned, the operating system is something of a distraction, and the actual version is unimportant. We move comfortably between various versions of (tamed) Vista, Windows 7, and even a legacy XP notebook. Just now, we had to recall the history of the old notebook to confirm that it was an XP machine. None of us could remember exactly.

I find the move to the new interface totally bizarre. It's obvious to me that Windows should install a classic interface by default on a desktop computer, and then offer the new interface for applications/games that could make sensible use of it. There could a further option to go completely touch-screen if desired; the hybrid mouse/touch-screen interface is a turkey.

BTW, hardware of new computer is Asus. No complaints here.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow