Started Apr 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,239
Re: Closed vs open loop focusing

WilbaW wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Martin.au wrote:

Both are closed loop. You can test it by starting the focus on a subject, then quickly moving the subject during the focus group's movement, and seeing if it focused on the background, or on the spot where the subject was.

Agreed. Open loop PDAF has been gone for 10 years or so.

PD AF has never been open-loop, see Busted! The Myth of Open-loop Phase-detection Autofocus.

I was reading Roger's article and there is reason to think that earlier PDAF were open loop:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/08/autofocus-reality-part-3b-canon-cameras

You can think all you want but evidence always beats speculation. Use the tests in my link above to prove it for yourself.

I've ready your article already and I'm not sure you've proved that PDAF has never been open loop. This being said, I've never used anything that didn't have some amount of iteration in the focus, so I'm sure I've never had open loop autofocus.

But for the purpose of this thread, I think we're on safe ground in this rabbit hole.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow