Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP WryCuda Senior Member • Posts: 7,782
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Thanks for the feedback, guys. After wrangling Windows for nearly 25 years, I was rather surprised how bad the Windows 8.1 experience proved to be. Even turning the computer off was a bit of a puzzle at first. I was tempted to rename the computer "Horse-Feathers", rather than "Jim's Computer".

Several times I found myself searching for a hidden feature, only to find that I had been fooled by the "Large Tile/Icon Syndrome". e.g. Once installed, Google made its appearance as a huge tile about 5 x 2 cm, rather than the neat icon that I was expecting. I once had a similar problem with a Toshiba notebook; "Create CD" was a gigantic button in the middle of the desktop that eluded both myself and the owner of the computer, who had been struggling for weeks to create a CD.

The Microsoft registration process didn't require me to enter any credit card details, it was just a temporary barrier to be overcome before Google could be installed as the search engine. My dormant Hotmail account gave me a smooth way in.

As I installed Norton 360, the OS reverted to Desktop during the install. It seems to have persisted, however, I will check this out next session. There is a procedure for getting Desktop at start-up:

• Click Desktop tile to enter desktop mode
  • Rt-Click taskbar, Properties, Navigation Tab...
  • Check Box "Go to Desktop... when I sign in", OK
  • Reboot.

The whole experience reminded me of a Samsung "smart" phone that my wife had some years ago; it had a slide-out key-pad as well as a touch screen. It was never clear which was the most appropriate mode of operation. I bought a $30 handset, transferred the SIM and threw the Samsung away. Looks like Microsoft is also headed for the dustbin unless they see sense.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow