Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP WryCuda Senior Member • Posts: 6,690
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Thanks for the feedback, guys. After wrangling Windows for nearly 25 years, I was rather surprised how bad the Windows 8.1 experience proved to be. Even turning the computer off was a bit of a puzzle at first. I was tempted to rename the computer "Horse-Feathers", rather than "Jim's Computer".

Several times I found myself searching for a hidden feature, only to find that I had been fooled by the "Large Tile/Icon Syndrome". e.g. Once installed, Google made its appearance as a huge tile about 5 x 2 cm, rather than the neat icon that I was expecting. I once had a similar problem with a Toshiba notebook; "Create CD" was a gigantic button in the middle of the desktop that eluded both myself and the owner of the computer, who had been struggling for weeks to create a CD.

The Microsoft registration process didn't require me to enter any credit card details, it was just a temporary barrier to be overcome before Google could be installed as the search engine. My dormant Hotmail account gave me a smooth way in.

As I installed Norton 360, the OS reverted to Desktop during the install. It seems to have persisted, however, I will check this out next session. There is a procedure for getting Desktop at start-up:

• Click Desktop tile to enter desktop mode
  • Rt-Click taskbar, Properties, Navigation Tab...
  • Check Box "Go to Desktop... when I sign in", OK
  • Reboot.

The whole experience reminded me of a Samsung "smart" phone that my wife had some years ago; it had a slide-out key-pad as well as a touch screen. It was never clear which was the most appropriate mode of operation. I bought a $30 handset, transferred the SIM and threw the Samsung away. Looks like Microsoft is also headed for the dustbin unless they see sense.

WryCuda's gear list:WryCuda's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow