Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,541
Re: No problems here (update to 8.1 w/Classic Shell installed)

Jim Cockfield wrote:

skyglider wrote:

With regard to the title of this thread:

I'm currently running Windows 8 + the Classic Shell on my laptop. Have received several popups suggesting that I upgrade to Windows 8.1. I've not done it yet under the premise of "If it's not broken, don't fix it". But I suspect that I'll need to upgrade eventually to keep up with Win8 updates.

Has anyone who was running Windows 8 + the Classic Shell, updated to Windows 8.1? Any problems?

No problems here.

... snip ...

One of the first things I did after reinstalling Windows 8 from scratch to the SSD was install the free Classic Shell. After that, I updated everything (BIOS firmware, all drivers, all Windows 8 updates from Microsoft, etc.). Then, I just used the Microsoft Store upgrade from Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1 and that worked fine with no issues. Nothing changed with the Classic Shell setup (still worked the same way it did with Windows 8.0 on it, with no issues after the upgrade to Windows 8.1).

Now, perhaps making sure everything was fully updated first (including all drivers directly from vendor sites like Nvidia, Intel, etc.) was a waste of time. But, I've seen that making sure you have all updates installed for Windows 8.0 first is a good idea before upgrading to Windows 8.1. So, that's what I did and had no problems with the upgrade to Windows 8.1

Thanks Jim.  I'll go ahead and upgrade to Win 8.1 after I finish doing our taxes ... .

Sky

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow