Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

Started Apr 7, 2014 | Discussions thread
Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 5,604
Re: Anybody Like Windows 8.1?

WryCuda wrote:

Today I helped a friend set up a new computer with Windows 8.1. Seems like a half-hearted attempt at a touch-screen OS; luckily I was soon able to revert to the Desktop mode.

What was MS thinking? The only reason that I was able to make much sense of the Start mode was that I am familiar with the iPad. Seems that the rather curious "Start Button" has now grown to encompass the whole screen.

Yup, and the original Windows 8 was even weirder and clumsier when I tried a preview.

My friend, previously a Windows XP user, was totally mystified by the whole process of setting up the new computer.

Part of the process involved registering with Microsoft in order to download software; just a little bit like the App Store, don't you think? I was able to quickly progress through this hurdle only because I keep a dormant Hotmail account.

There's a way to have a purely local login, but it isn't obvious. I was annoyed enough when I saw this that I stopped the install and used another PC to research the workaround.

Anyhow, it seems to be working well. An i7 processor with 16Gb RAM doesn't mess around! The all-in-one design of the computer does away with a lot of cabling. Next phase will be transferring email and setting up legacy applications.

Any comments welcome. This is not a PC vs. Apple war; I'm a long-time Windows user.

Install a Start Menu replacement like the free Classic Shell, Start8, etc. Then 8.1 looks and works much like a slightly improved Windows 7 or before. It's an easy fix, but should never have been necessary.

I understand that the impending Windows 8.1 Update 1 (what a name, sigh) will give desktop users more control.

By the time Windows 9 comes out, my guess is it'll look exactly like Windows XP.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony a77 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hdr
hdr
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow