Light lens for birding?

Started Jun 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,659
Re: Light lens for birding?

ASR45 wrote:

I actually came from canon myself, i use a 60-250 for birds im lucky i can get close to them so it fit the bill for me, i dont know about the 55-300 i have been told its slow AF, but other than that it might help you, good luck.

I have tried various ways, but am now using a D600 with a AF-S 80-400 VR II N, in low light, while in better light I use my Nikon V1 + 30-110 (roughly 80-300 in full format terms), as it is such a splendid little package! The 30-110 lens is slightly softer, but the difference is minimal! In low light the size of the sensor matters, but not in bright sunshine!

If I need more reach I use my V1 with an AF-S 70-300 VR, which is superbly sharp in the center, which is the only thing that matters when used on such a small sensor (1", aka CX, size).

A step further down that road would be the Q7 with the HD DA55-300 WR - then you need even better light!

My wife is mostly an OM-D enthusiast, but the longest lens she owned for MFT was the Olympus 70-300, a heavy lens that isn't that great for BIF (birds in flight). The number of misses was huge so that was sold and she bought a K-30 to use with her old DA55-300 (a left-over since our Pentax days).

My wife uses a K-30 and the HD DA55-300 WR since some days back, and in any kind of backlighting this is the lens to use — its simpler brother, the DA55-300, that she used to use for her BIF photography, doesn't like backlighting at all!

She now has a Nikon V1, too, and her own 30-110, plus have the new Nikon 1 VR 70-300 on order. This is on paper equal to my AF-S 70-300 VR, but as it is made for the Nikon 1 system, its autofocus works much better (hopefully), when BIF-ing, than my AF-S 70-300.

A V1 plus the new 70-300 weighs under three punds, while my combo (V1 + AF-S 70-300 VR), is slightly heavier, as I also need an adaptor to mate the Nikon 1 system with the F Mount lens.

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Mostly Nikon V1, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow