ZS40 image quality...bad camera or am I being overly critical?

Started Apr 5, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rob Galvin
Rob Galvin Junior Member • Posts: 28
ZS40 image quality...bad camera or am I being overly critical?

I just upgraded my DMC-ZS3 to a DMC-ZS40.  So far, I love the zoom and features on the camera.  Photos, on the 3" screen, look awesome.

But, I'm finding that when I view them on my 27" PC monitor (1920x1080), I am seeing degraded quality.  At 50% and 100%, they look fine.  But, if I start to zoom in to 150% and greater, quality seems to fall off very quickly.

By comparison, I took some ZS3 shots and tried the zoom in and they hold up better than the ZS40.  Obviously, I can't compare the shots to my Canon 70D, but I wouldn't expect worse quality from the ZS3 to the ZS40.

I'm wondering if I have a bad camera, or if I am just expecting too much from a $450 camera?

I'll post up an example...can anyone compare this to what they are getting quality wise?  If it's my camera, I want to get this straightened out while still on my 30 days of purchasing it.

The example is a one-color shot (based on yellow).  Even at 100%, the plane in the background looks 'off' (to me).

Thanks,

Rob

-- hide signature --

Rob Galvin

Rob Galvin's gear list:Rob Galvin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 70D
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (Lumix DMC-TZ7) Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow