Why the $200 EM-5 price drop?

Started Apr 4, 2014 | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 25,150
Re: What Price Drop?

bohdanz wrote:

I am looking at only getting a camera body because I have lenses from my G6 and GX1 (and Canon lenses with an adapter). I have enough lenses that a body is all I need.

So now I see a $100 difference between the EM-5 (which is weatherproof) at $799 and and the EM-10 at $699.

I live in California/L.A. but the weatherproof/dustproof might be a good investment?

Only if you have lenses that are splashproof.  Otherwise, the water will seep in your lens if you get a hard enough rain.

In terms of price drops, Olympus has had deals for the past 2 months or so (sometimes refurbished gear, sometimes new).  I have to imagine they are clearing the shelves for releasing the E-M5 mark 2.  The current deal will expire on April 5th.  Whether there will be a similar deal in a few days, I dunno.

I was lucky to snag a refurbished E-M5 + 12-50mm lens when Olympus had their President's day refurbished sale in February (but not as lucky as the people that got the few refurbished E-M1's during that sale).  At the moment, there are no refurbished E-Mx's at the outlet store, but perhaps in a month or so, more will turn up.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus TG-860 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow