Weather sealing a new trend !

Started Apr 4, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083
Rod

Rod McD wrote:

Hi Steve,

I'm not so sure it's a new trend - it started in non-pro DSLRs with the K10D back in 2006. I think we can thank Pentax for bringing it to enthusiast models. Other brands have taken it up since then.

It's odd that until very recently, the whole mirror-less ILC genre weren't sealed. The Olympus OMD EM5 was the first, and premium priced cameras from Fuji and Sony weren't sealed. Both of those companies have only just released sealed cameras in the last six months with the XT1 and the A7/r. (NB that Sony have withdrawn the water resistance claim for the A7 and A7r).

Interesting that Sony did that !

As far as I can see, the quality of the sealing - gaskets and doors etc - is still far better from Pentax than any other maker I've seen. At least that's the case for enthusiast cameras - I've never owned or checked out Canon or Nikon's heavyweight pro DSLRs.

Miss your frog shots........good to see one in the article. Do you ever still use your old M42 200mm Tele-Takumar? I'm often tempted to try one and they're so small and cheap......

Regards, Rod

Hi,

well maybe i went too far with the trend but there is certainly more choices now than before. You're ricght the doors (card and battery) on Pentax are probably some of the best (never tried a Nikon D4 or Canon 1Dx) but my 7D is weather sealed also but no gakets around the card and battery doors !

Winter is long this year and there is still ice on the ponds,but maybe in 2 or 3 weks Frogs should be everywhere and i will be photographing them.

Sold all my Takumar lenses at the end of 2013 ... i regret it now and just bought an SMC Takumar 55mm/1.8.

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow