5DIII and Sigma 180/2.8 New Macro

Started Apr 4, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Daleroy Regular Member • Posts: 206
5DIII and Sigma 180/2.8 New Macro

I was out yesterday for the first time to check out a new lens I just bought.

I had the hood on and it was an overcast day. After a few shots and checking the camera LCD it was obvious there was a halo appearing on in the center of the frame. So I did some experimenting.

The halo would appear at f/2.8 and gradually disappear as I closed donw the aperture. It would be almost gone by f/4 and certainly gone by f/5.6.

The tone of the bg did not seem to make a difference as to whether or not a halo appeared.

When I got home and downloaded the files I could not see the halos in LR5 when looking at the RAW file. When opened as a TIFF in CS6 again no halo. Also no halo in ACR nor as a coverted JPEG.

When I look at the batch of files in Windows Explorer again I can see the halos and have attached an iphone photo of a computer screen.

In this attached photo the top right CR2 file#9673 the halo is quite visible. IN the second row left same photo 9673 but now a TIF there is no halo.

Of course my concern is do I have a faulty lens which needs returning but I can't tell if it is the lens.

So I wondered if it is the camera generated JPEG and if anyone here can help provide an explanation.

I have also started a thread in the macro forum with a couple different photos but I am leaning towards the camera jpeg.

Thanks,

Dave

-- hide signature --

daleroy@smugmug.com

Daleroy's gear list:Daleroy's gear list
Panasonic G85
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow