Is the A58 now the entry level SLT?

Started Apr 2, 2014 | Discussions thread
thebustos Veteran Member • Posts: 3,408
Re: Is the A58 now the entry level SLT?

Sure the A58 has a smaller LCD, and it would have been nice if it was larger, but otherwise it seems to be a great camera. It was cheap from the get go and hasn't been at the $500 mark too long. Sure if you compare it to your A35 there are things you might not be happy with, but if you were buying your first camera then it offers a lot for that money, specially when you look at the competition. The A58 is $50 less than the new T5 (which is pretty much stripped of most features), $100 less than the T3i, $150 less than the SL1, and $250 less than the T5i when you compare Canon. With Nikon it's about the same price as the D3200 and about $150 less than it's replacement. For the money it's a great first camera. Other than touch screen, it competes fairly well against Canon's current entry level crop. Nikon's known for good ISO performance and does about a 3rd-stop better than the A58 which does about a 3rd-stop better than the T5i.

-- hide signature --

Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow