m4/3 not allowed on Lower Antelope Canyon photo tour

Started Apr 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,289
Re: Before you get your panties in a bunch. . .

gregbartgis wrote:

It's definitely worth "getting your panties in a bunch". Ken Rockwell has to apply for a Commercial Use Authorization from the National Park Service. This is not a license to deprive someone of their first amendment rights, any more than he could obtain a license to deprive anyone of any of our other constitutional rights. He took your money and has an obligation to deliver. It's too bad that people don't want to press issues such as this - one reason so many of our rights seem to be slipping away from us. We're too lazy to fight- even if it means getting screwed by people like Ken. Use and exercise your rights - or lose them. You can go online to the US Forest service website and read up on Commercial Use authorization. Ken is taking your money and is responsible for seeing to it that you are completely satisfied. If you complain to the Park Service, they may be able to persuade him to drop his restriction. He may be a private commercial operator, but he's making use of public property to further his personal interests and must obey the law to maintain his license. Complaints will be considered and if enough people complain - or one is vocal enough - he can lose his license. You should file a complaint.

-- hide signature --

The elimination of the mirror has introduced a new concept into the interchangeable lens digital camera market - compactness (kind of like what happened when Oscar Barnack created the Leica).

Antelope Canyon is not administered by the Department of the Interior, but by the Navajo Nation. Granted, the BIA does fall under DoI jurisdiction, but we really do give the Indian reservations mostly a free hand in the governance of their tribal land.

It looks like Navajo Parks and Recreation has been given control over areas such as Antelope Canyon and the floor of Canyon de Chelly, and Navajo Parks and Recreation has sole ability to license tour operators in these areas.

From Navajo Parks and Rec website:

All areas on the Navajo Nation are closed to non-Navajos unless you have a valid camping, hiking or backcountry permit issued by the Navajo Parks and Recreation Department or other duly delegated tribal authority. Failure to have a permit is considered Trespassing on a Federal Indian Reservation.

-- hide signature --

This issue seems to be even more complicated than I could ever imagine...

 MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow