m4/3 not allowed on Lower Antelope Canyon photo tour

Started Apr 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
Lab D Veteran Member • Posts: 6,938
More people should take this approach to get it changed

I think if enough people e-mail them, they will change their policy.  Linking to articles where professionals named the E-M1 "camera of the year" over "larger" DSLRs might help explain.

I wonder if a GH3 or GH4 would have been accepted and if an A7R would have been rejected.  Do they make you take off the lense to then they measure the sensor?

ahrensjt wrote:

Hi all,

I read genesys' original post, and really felt sorry for him and his experience there.  I would have been incredibly frustrated.  Since my wife and I have an E-M5 and a G5, I also was a bit bothered - that seems like a tour we would like to join!

So I found "Ken's" tours on the Web, and sent them an email, wanting to get a formal response as to "why?".  I pasted the exchange below.

Summary:  I received a very rapid response (well done Emily), but it was clear that Emily did NOT understand the issue regarding the equipment restriction as currently defined.  It is possible that one could print out Emily's second email to show the tour gestapo -- an "official" statement that m43 cameras are in fact allowed with a tripod.  But this was inconsistent with her first email, so I'm not sure I would bet travel expenses on it.  All in all, a disappointing result.

The email exchange:

Apr 3, 2014, at 12:13 AM

Hello Ken’s Tour,
 I am planning a holiday, and want to make sure of something before I make tour reservations.

I read (link below) that someone with a professional-level mirrorless camera was denied access to the Photography tour.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3649770
 Is this still your policy?  I have a similar pro-level mirrorless camera, and want to make sure (i.e., in writing) whether I would be able to join that tour.
 Thanks,
Jeffrey

Lab D's gear list:Lab D's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BJL
(unknown member)
iau
BJL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow