D700 to Second hand D3s or D4 ?

Started Mar 20, 2014 | Discussions thread
Niklas Ramstedt
Niklas Ramstedt Regular Member • Posts: 281
Re: D700 to Second hand D3s or D4 ?

Mr Pompey wrote:

Niklas Ramstedt wrote:

I'm currently having a somewhat similar conundrum, but my choices are used D3s or new D800. I also have a D700 with grip as my main camera. I sold my D7000 I had for backup this Monday and I might get the new camera tomorrow already. Still can't choose which one though.

Used D3s 2299€ (shutter count 70 000)

Brand sparkling new D800 1999€ with some money to spare for a larger faster CF/SD and a 1TB SATA3 HDD.

If I had the money I wouldn't think twice about getting a used D4 for about 3500€. This is though out of my league at the moment.

My thread here:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3621742

-- hide signature --

Thanks for your comments and the link. I think yiu need to handle the D800 first to see if its for you as the build and handling will be different.

The D800 is a good camera, it is slower fps, better dynamic range at normal ISO but not at higher ISO, big files, less so usable high ISO bu. Great for landcapes, cropping images, studio work and print at extremely large sizes, its smaller (could be good or bad) not pro build.

The D3s is tested to 300k actuations so 70k is nothing

For me the file sizes will be too large on the D800 but maybe fine for you. I'm told you may need to use good glass but perhaps its really just using good technique and knowing the strengths and weaknesses of your lenses.

Let me know what you choose

** Thank you to everyone posting advice, you are very kind. It appears that the D3s so far is the prefered option from the comments and the the price difference may not be worth the extra features

-
Mr Pompey

I got the D800, the price difference made it for me. It's just like using my D700 with minor differences of which I'm already used to from previously owning a couple of D7000's.

The AF is a bit snappier than on the D700 and the viewfinder is lovely too. I will have to buy the MB-D12 grip at some point though. I shoot a lot in portrait mode and miss it on the D800.

Another thing that weighed in the D800's favor over the D3s was the lack of a thumb-pad on the D3s in portrait mode. I move the focus point around a lot. If I get the grip for the D800 I'll get one there.

-- hide signature --
 Niklas Ramstedt's gear list:Niklas Ramstedt's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow