Nikon 35/1.8G FX vs Sigma 35/1.4 Art - Moderate Distance (samples)

Started Apr 1, 2014 | Discussions thread
OP anotherMike Veteran Member • Posts: 9,080
Re: Nikon 35/1.8G FX vs Sigma 35/1.4 Art - Moderate Distance (samples)

Regarding sharpening. These are out of the camera conversions with default nikon sharpening. Quick and dirty - nothing fancy.

One thing, though, to clearly keep in mind is that I *print* - it's my preferred output, and printing on inkjet, due to ink bleed, requires more sharpening than presenting for jpeg. Truth be told, in print, on the paper I use and the size I print at, I still would add a slight touch of deconvolution sharpening and you'd not see a single halo at 6" viewing distance on an A2 or 17x22 sized print from these. If anything, my final prints tend to viewed as conservatively sharpened. Lesson is: each output medium has it's own characteristics - so what works for me in print may not at all work for those intent on viewing on their 4K tv or looking at the jpeg on a retina display.

However, even if by your standards I'm using somewhat aggressive sharpening, the sharpening alone can't make up for the Nikon being slightly less good with untangling the shrubbery.

And as a final note, while I do think the Sigma has a faint/slight advantage here, this summer I'm still likely to carry the Nikon 35/1.8 along for landscape use simply for flare resistance and size issues, even if there will be times the Sigma does a few things better.

-m

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow