Panasonic Nocticron v. Olympus 75mm

Started Aug 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
tjdean01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,255
Re: Panasonic Nocticron v. Olympus 75mm

jeffharris wrote:

tjdean01 wrote:

My dilemma is a bit different. I'm going to get the 45/1.8 regardless. Why? Small, aesthetically pleasing, sharp, lightweight, cheap, and comes in silver. Similarly, I'm NOT going to get the Panny 42/1.2 because the 45 beats it in all those things I just mentioned and the Voigtlander beats it in aperture. Plus the Voitglander + Olympus I can have for the same price of the Panny. I just don't like how the Panny looks. I simply don't like it. I know it might be optically better than the other two, but I don't like 'er personally. 'Nuff said.

BUT, I do like the 42/0.95. And I also like the 75/1.8. They're both $800 or so. The 0.95 will give me better background blur, but I don't really think there's a huge difference. Then again, the 42 range is much more useful than 75. Plus, factoring in that I'm handholding, the Voigtlander 42 is OVER TWO STOPS FASTER than the 75 (whereas the 45 is less than a stop faster handheld). I want both of these lenses (remember, I'm getting the 45 regardless), but I can only afford one $800 lens right now. I don't know what to get first!

That's a tough call.

The Nokton 42.5mm costs $999, so there's a bit more of a difference there. It's really a fantastic lens! It surprised me how much I really love the 85mm equivalent focal length. I had also thought about getting a 45mm for casual shooting (that's what AF is for in my book), but the 42.5mm is such a pleasure to use and helps me produce so many good shots, I may not bother… unless I get a GM1 for my girlfriend.

75mm is another pleasing, flexible length, but I opted for a Voigtländer 75mm f2.5 Color Heliar over the Oly. Its smaller, lighter (even with the L mount adaptor), is a manual lens (my preference) and was half the price of the Oly (factoring in the Voigt's included lens hood).

I got the 75mm first, then the 42.5mm. At the time, I was sort of Jonesing for the 45mm, but the 42.5mm cured me of that… for the time being, at least. I guess it depends on your other lenses and what you think would be more useful in the short-run.

That kind of helped.  Thanks.  It helped until you started talking about the 75s!  As for the 75, I wouldn't want the Voigt because it's slower (if I'm going to buy, I might as well get the best...or the cheapest!).  The 42.5 IS the best, however.  Do you use it wide open?  Would I be happy with it wide open?  If I need to stop down to 1.8 anyway, I'd get the 45, you know?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow