Fuji 23mm Distance Scale

Started Mar 30, 2014 | Discussions thread
Ray Sachs
Ray Sachs Forum Pro • Posts: 10,580
Re: Fuji 23mm Distance Scale

PGR streetshooter wrote:

PGR streetshooter wrote:

zenpmd wrote:

Can someone tell me how this works? I want to get into zone focusing. Thanks!

Ray and the others are correct. There's just something to pay attention too.

The constant in Hyperfocal Distance is always Infinity. So, set your infinity mark at the f/stop you want.

Don here is the MAN and has forgotten more about street photography than I'll ever know.

But one point I'll make on this is that zone focus isn't always the same as Hyperfocal and you often don't need anything close to infinity in focus for street photography. When I'm out shooting with an 18mm lens (Fuji or Nikon Coolpix A) in good light, I'll generally just set the focus to two meters (I rarely feel the need to focus at any other distance, only occasionally coming in to about 1.5 for really close work) and the aperture to f6.3. At 2 meters you need to close down to somewhere between f8 and f9 to reach a hyperfocal setting, but I usually walk around at f6.4 and I have a zone of focus from a little over one meter to a little over 8 meters. Eight meters is 25+ feet away and there's almost nothing happening in a street shot that I need sharp focus beyond 25 feet!

In low light, I'll open the aperture up to f3.6 or f4 so I can maintain decent shutter speeds, and I still have a zone from about 1.5 to 3.5 meters in focus, still a zone where most of what I'm shooting is gonna be in focus. On the 14mm lens, I can shoot wide open at f2.8 and have from a little over 1 meter to nearly 5 meters in focus. It's a long way from hyperfocal, but it's a really effective way to establish a useable zone of focus in lower light and still be able to keep your shutter speed up where you need it to avoid hand-shake or subject-motion blur.

The tolerances are tighter with the 23mm lens as there's less DOF, but there's still enough once you get comfortable with the limits at various apertures... I just personally like little wider field of view personally...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Ray..thanks.
The issue with the 23mm is that even if you set the camera to MF...it doesn't work. No scale.
So we are faced with the scale on the lens which is accurate for infinity but not much else.

Really? I've found the focus distance scale on both the 14 and 23 (which share the same "clutch" ring) to be pretty accurate. I just checked the 23 and both 1 and 2.5 feet are pretty much dead on. And I can get a repeatable 6 feet even though it's not marked - just line up the 1 meter marking with the right-hand f16 and you're there... It's true there aren't enough markings on the barrel, but I only need to know a couple of positions and tricks like that one - every time I focus on something six feet away (close enough to 2 meters) the 1 meter marking is right at f16, help me get situated... You could no doubt find a similar trick for 7' and 10'.

The 18 uses the scale in camera which is good for focus distance but not DOF. I use 7' or 10'.
The 23mm with its scale is a great combo for street as long as we keep an open mind .

Right. I don't use the DOF scales on these at all - the electronic one for the 18 or the lens barrel one for the 14 and 23. I just use the focus distance scale and keep my own DOF numbers in what's left of my head...

The Nikon A has a distance marking right at 2 meters and no DOF scale - a street camera after my own heart! But you knew that already...

-Ray

-- hide signature --

We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow