OMD EM1 or Fuji XT1.. getting around noise issue on m 4/3 ?

Started Mar 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
Daniel Lauring Veteran Member • Posts: 9,342
Re: OMD EM1 or Fuji XT1.. getting around noise issue on m 4/3 ?

rmxa wrote:

I'm use an E-PM2 but have been considering getting an XE-1 as they're relatively cheap now.

I've been reading the Fuji X forum here and it's generally held that Photo Ninja is the best X-Trans decoder to date. I downloaded the demo and grabbed the ISO 3200 DPR test scenes for the XE-2 and E-M5.

Here's a comparison in Photo Ninja:

On the left is an XE-2 JPEG from LR5 with Sharpening and NR (Luminance and Colour) = 0.

In the middle is the XE-2 RAW and on the right is the E-M5's. Only the Colour Correction and Exposure and Detail tick boxes are selected in PN for both. The XE-2 shutter speed is 1/800, the E-M5's is 1/2000.

I selected the E-M5 since it would be closer to my current E-PM2. I selected the XE-2 in the hope that it would approximate the XE-1 with Fuji's latest firmware updates.

I'm not going to comment on the comparison but anyone contemplating between the XT-1 and E-M1 in terms of IQ would probably do well to compare RAWs themselves.

This is certainly a better comparison than the dpreview one shown earlier but still shows the Olympus at a greater magnification than the Fuji which gives it a detail advantage that it doesn't really have. This is the one of the errors between comparing two cameras. They need to be at the same magnification. The different aspect ratios might have played a part in this error of set up.

In the end, the difference is much less than many people are claiming on either side and will be quickly negated by lens choice and aspect ratio choice (cropping.)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GBC
SGA
GBC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow