Has anyone been disappointed with the new 80-400?

Started Mar 18, 2014 | Discussions thread
BILLY 0F THE NORTH Regular Member • Posts: 416
Re: Has anyone been disappointed with the new 80-400?

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

If you ask that question on a blog, this forum in particular, you will get several Negative Nellies without fail for any lens at all. The 80-400VR is a great lens, sharp from end to end,which to my knowledge has never been done before anywhere near the price. Get one and have fun with it.

Well I guess I am another "Negative Nellie" because I had  a bad experience with this lens also. I traded my Sigma 50 -500 for this lens and after many hit and miss focus problems I sent the lens to Nikon for  service. It was returned after some "adjustments" but I could never get it to perform as consistent as my Sigma...so I traded it back and got another Sigma ( at my loss). I thought that for the high price and the rave about this lens, that it would perform better than the Sigma, but I was disappointed..many that use this lens can adjust to the "learning curve" of the lens but I like to not have to deal with a lens that is so temperamental. Between the Sigma and the Nikon 300f4+ 1.4 tele...I get the IQ without the hassle

-- hide signature --

Bill Romer

BILLY 0F THE NORTH's gear list:BILLY 0F THE NORTH's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mpe
mpe
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow