OMD EM1 or Fuji XT1.. getting around noise issue on m 4/3 ?

Started Mar 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
Mark B UK Senior Member • Posts: 1,443
Re: OMD EM1 or Fuji XT1.. getting around noise issue on m 4/3 ?

drj3 wrote:

drj3 wrote:

It is easy to have lower noise levels at ISO 3200 than other cameras, just call your ISO1600 - 3200.

From DPR review of E-X2

However, a significant part of this advantage stems from the camera's need for longer exposures to achieve the same JPEG brightness level as its rivals. This is the way the ISO standard is measured, and the basis on which we conduct this test. However the X-E2's need for unusually long exposures explains much of the difference we see between it and the Sony NEX-6; in fact it's probably better compared to the performance of its peers set 1EV lower (i.e. ISO 400 on the Fujifilm compared to ISO 200 on its rivals).

-- hide signature --

drj3

DPR comparisons for Fuji and three others at ISO 3200 and ISO 3200 for Fuji and 1600 for the other three. Draw your own conclusions about noise and detail for each

-- hide signature --

drj3

I have a lot of time or people who resolve impassioned debate with empirical evidence. If there were such a thing as a 'reverse-ignore' button on DPR for people whose opinions we admire, you'd get my vote. Until I saw your post I was unsure whether to believe the idea that Fuji files are heavily noise-reduced, and was thinking of getting one, rather than an E-M1. You've pretty much decided me in favour of sticking with Olympus.

Mark B UK's gear list:Mark B UK's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 25mm F1.2 Samsung Galaxy S7 edge
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GBC
SGA
GBC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow