My 7-14 takes filters ... at the rear end

Started Apr 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: My 7-14 takes filters ... at the rear end

letsgofishing wrote:

Maybe a bit off topic, but how come a Sigma 10-20 for APSC takes filters without any problem?

Is the difference between 14 and 15mm that significant?

Not sure I am in a position to answer that question in some more definitive way but I'll give it a try. Allowing filters up front means you have to abstain from the bulbous front element used by the Pany 7-14 and several other UWA zooms that go similarly wide, for example, the Nikkor 14-24 for FF, the Sigma 12-24 for FF, the Sigma 8-16 for APS-C, and the old (FT) as well as upcoming (MFT) Olympus 7-14. I would think that has drawbacks optically, e.g., with regard to vignetting, more so the wider you go. In addition, you have to go to wider and wider filter diameters and/or make the front element flatter and flatter to fit a front-mounted without mechanical vignetting due to the filter ring. At a certain point, the design concessions you have to make in order to allow filters up front simply become too large.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
yyr
yyr
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow