k3 (awesome camera) vs dp3m (thanks Heie2)

Started Mar 27, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Meuh
Meuh Senior Member • Posts: 2,859
k3 (awesome camera) vs dp3m (thanks Heie2)

Yesterday I had the wonderful opportunity to meet up with heie2 who is currently visiting Scotland and it was great to spend the day with him but I'll let him do a little post about his Scotland visit when he has the time

Anyway, while Heie2 was here we set up a very simple test shot, Heie2 took the photo's on one of my sd cards and I was left with the raw files to play around with.

To get a better idea of the files I didn't sharpen either in post (or in raw) apart from the default sharping that LR applies and since the dpm3 file is much smaller than the k3 files (15.6mp vs 24) I exported a tiff from sigma pro at 2x the size and then reduced the image to match the size of the k3.

This is being a little unfair to the sigma as its now enlarged a fair bit but I felt it would make a better comparison.

I know the lens on the dpm3 is well regarded and matched to the sensor, so possibility using a dedicated marco could help the k3 out more but I was surprise to see even with the 24mp no AA filter sensor that it still couldn't match the detail of the little sigma (mind i paid £340 for the sigma).

But that's not to say the sigma is a better camera.. the k3 is wonderful, it takes my k5 which I love and builds on it and seems to make it better and faster in every way and is a much more versatile tool than the sigma but in the right situation (ie good light, 50mm focal length) that little sigma is pretty special.

Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5 Sigma DP3 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow