OMD EM1 or Fuji XT1.. getting around noise issue on m 4/3 ?

Started Mar 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
dgrogers Veteran Member • Posts: 7,079
Re: OMD EM1 or Fuji XT1.. getting around noise issue on m 4/3 ?

jim stirling wrote:

dgrogers wrote:

Steve wrote:

i'm trolling around trying to decide between the 2 subject cameras. i want smaller and lighter (no tri-poding than my ex d7000.. (although xt1 takes APC sized lenses, so i'm not sure the xt1 will give me much of a size advance with an APC lens)..

The EM-1 is noisier than the Fuji.. but i'm wondering if the EM1 with its great stabilization would allow me to shoot at lower ISOs than the Fuji.. and therefore help to minimize noise..

i guess this is a tough question as probably very few if any people have tested this out.

There really isn't much of a noise difference between m4/3 and the APS chip on the Fuji. The Fuji demozaicing algorithm is quite heavy on the noise reduction due to the nature of the color filter array, leaving many higher ISO pictures lacking in the detail department.

-- hide signature --

Completely infatuated with the "OMG"

How would you solve the problem that the E-M1 displays both more noise and less detail than the X-T1.

Good thing it's not a problem and doesn't need to be solved.  It is a fact that Fuji has excessive noise reduction.  There is a reason people say skin on shots from Fuji looks like plastic.  Let's not forget about the water color effect that often crops up either.  If you think rendering that looks like it was painted by water color and plastic skin is detail, you're smoking some good stuff.

-- hide signature --

Completely infatuated with the "OMG"

dgrogers's gear list:dgrogers's gear list
Olympus E-1 Samsung NX20 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GBC
SGA
GBC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow