OMD EM1 or Fuji XT1.. getting around noise issue on m 4/3 ?

Started Mar 26, 2014 | Discussions thread
jim stirling
jim stirling Veteran Member • Posts: 7,356
Re: OMD EM1 or Fuji XT1.. getting around noise issue on m 4/3 ?

dgrogers wrote:

Steve wrote:

i'm trolling around trying to decide between the 2 subject cameras. i want smaller and lighter (no tri-poding than my ex d7000.. (although xt1 takes APC sized lenses, so i'm not sure the xt1 will give me much of a size advance with an APC lens)..

The EM-1 is noisier than the Fuji.. but i'm wondering if the EM1 with its great stabilization would allow me to shoot at lower ISOs than the Fuji.. and therefore help to minimize noise..

i guess this is a tough question as probably very few if any people have tested this out.

There really isn't much of a noise difference between m4/3 and the APS chip on the Fuji. The Fuji demozaicing algorithm is quite heavy on the noise reduction due to the nature of the color filter array, leaving many higher ISO pictures lacking in the detail department.

-- hide signature --

Completely infatuated with the "OMG"

How would you solve the problem that the E-M1 displays both more noise and less detail than the X-T1. Add NR to Olympus bye bye detail , add sharpening and wow noise is going to be really bad at high ISO on E-M1 .The gap is not closeable by any processing , the only question is how wide the gap is and how much it matters. I do not have nor have I ever had a Fuji camera while I do have the E-M1 a superb device in many many ways unfortunately its image quality simply isn't on a par with the best APS. This is a sacrifice I am prepared to make as their is an excellent selection of lenses and accessories for mFT , combined with lovely video quality especially in Panasonic.

Now if Fuji had video as good as Panasonic and some faster zooms it would be a very attractive option.However as I am also a Nikon FF user the advantages of the Fuji image quality are outdone by the advantages { size ,weight choice of lenses, video etc} of mFT. And as I already have access to better image quality it is simply not enough.

Jim

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D810 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GBC
SGA
GBC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow