An interesting read about the state of the camera industry..

Started Mar 25, 2014 | Discussions thread
chkproductions
chkproductions Senior Member • Posts: 1,111
Re: An interesting read about the state of the camera industry..

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

chkproductions wrote:

I would suggest that the downward trend in the camera industry is driven to a degree, if not a large degree, by technologically driven societies coupled with a flat or sagging world economy. The downward trend is hitting other techno products as well. I used to say to colleagues when talking about the economy, "How many microwaves do you really need in your life?" Lo and behold just this morning a statement on a morning show validated my thought presenting data on the decline in sales of microwave ovens. So, I ask, "How many new cameras do we really need in our lifetimes?

The article suggests that technology has now plateaued. I don't think that's the case. Minor and major improvements in existing technologies happen everyday, and new technologies are presented with regularity. I think that even with all the improvements and new tech, we still just end up with a picture, a photo, an image. Even if we get there by implanting a sensor behind our eyes, we still end up with the thing they were ending up with at the beginning of the photographic process.

I agree with most of your thoughts.. and thank you for the intelligent response.

I believe the technology will continue to progress in imaging and that the future will still hold a lot of new cameras and features that will surprise us all. The point and shoot market may well be on the decline but there will always be amateur/enthusiast and pros who demand more than what a cellphone will produce. It is that market that will benefit and continue.

The Fuji 56mm f/1.2 lens is pretty amazing and if made by Canon or Nikon would probably cost much more.. and of course we know what such a lens with a Leica logo on it would cost.

Technology will progress in both sensor and lens technology. The Amana Radar Range Microwave sold for a fortune when it was introduced in 1967. Today you can buy a $100 microwave that contains more features and capabilities than that old Amana. They weigh less, they're smaller, they're more efficient and the cost less. The same will apply to digital cameras in the future.

My first real digital camera was the Canon D30. I think I paid about $2600 for it. The Fuji X-E2 is smaller, produces much better images, has great lenses and features I would never have dreamed of when I was buying that Canon D30... and so it will be in the future. Smaller, better, more features, better lenses and lower prices... and the camera makers will survive.

BTW: Visited your site.. very nice work.. loved your about page.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim - wanted to thank you for looking at my website.  I have also admired your work for some time now.

It appears that the thread has generated some heat - which happens all too often.  This is about manufacturing cameras, not a critique of anyone's personal photography.

Some look at this current evolution/change as a glass half full - others, a glass half empty it appears. You seem to be a half full guy.  I'm a half empty guy but the half that's left is chocolate milk - my favorite.  And I will savor the last half for as long as I can.  Seems some want to assign blame for the current changes and some embrace the changes as they come down the pike.  Lastly, there's a big difference in how current trends are perceived between a working photographer and a hobbyist/enthusiast. Two very different intents. So I'll just keep working away.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jrk
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow