7D - should I get a 135mm?
Having decided not to upgrade to FF for a while, I am looking for a lens that can help me create images like this (taken with a 200mm f2.8 on with a 5D mk3):
<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/snezhana/10292746226" title="Gina-2520-web by Agent Provocateur 007, on Flickr"><img src="https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7450/10292746226_3ce1ee36a3.jpg" width="333" height="500" alt="Gina-2520-web"></a>
And like this:
Effectively: images with shallow DOF, compressed backgrounds and lovely bokeh, where the subject stands out. This seems to the strength of fairly long fast, telephoto primes.
My 85 1.8 is a lovely lens, but I have not been able to achieve the sort of look as with the above images. I acknowledge that this could be photographer error here, but I have had better success with my 55-250mm set on a medium telephoto length such as the pic below at 123mm (a very quick candid snap). It lacks the IQ and the nice bokeh of the pictures above.
So the question is: given my interest in this sort of portraiture, will a 135mm f2.0 give a significant improvement over the 85mm or should I not bother with the 135mm as it has limited application on a crop?
Some other criteria:
- I don't want any heavy lens like a 70-200mm zoom.
- I can see myself with a FF camera in 1-3 years, so need to think about what the upgrade would mean.
- I can't justify the cost of an 85L.
Thanks in advance.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Sunflower Field by GrannyMeg|
from An impressionist piece
|Flag from Staten Island Ferry by wam7|
|SAND SCULPTURE by duskman|
from Landscape - Black and White #4