Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95 versus Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2

Started Mar 3, 2014 | Discussions thread
ack231 New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95 versus Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2

I have rented both, and (so far) have bought neither. The Voigt is quite useable wide-open, especially at a focus distance in the 1-3m range. It is not a perfect lens: there's more spherical aberration outside that focus range (so you have to stop down more for good quality), and the bokeh is a bit busy at longer distances as well; I have personally experienced what this reviewer describes http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-voigtlander-nokton-42-5mm-f0-95/2/

OTOH, having shot both lenses for a few days each, I expected to like the Pana/Leica better.  It *is* quite amazingly sharp wide open. But much to my surprise, when I went through the photos from both sessions, I preferred the look of the Voigt, particularly for portraits. (As did two other people who gracefully let me make them look through my photos.)  The Pana/Leica with all its clinical sharpness just looked, well, a bit *harsh* -- although I have to say that it suffered from none of the "busy bokeh" problems of the Voigt.

Now this is entirely subjective, and your mileage may vary.  If you are seriously considering these lenses, I'd strongly recommend renting both of them before buying; there are many lens rental places out there. For one, you have to find out whether you'll be willing to work with a manual focus lens.

Good luck!

ack231's gear list:ack231's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow