70D eagles

Started Mar 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
WilbaW
WilbaW Forum Pro • Posts: 11,562
Re: 70D eagles

Barbyte wrote:

Anyone have suggestions on how to expose for bad light and get some light or detail on the dark feathers. This is what I struggle with the most. With no IS it seems I don't have as many options - though friends with IS lenses do seem to have the same problems. I only shoot manual and that is not bragging - I can't shoot anything else no matter how I try. My pictures are either blown out or too dark when I try AV or TV.

You have the right gear, the right subject, the right approach, and great results, so that puts you way ahead. 

I have three things that might help you. You didn't say how you determined your manual settings. For BIFs I set aperture and shutter to taste, then set the ISO to give +1.7 to 2 on the sky in the direction I'll be shooting, and take a test shot to check for blinkies. That gives a consistent brightness regardless of the colour of the bird, and should protect your highlights. The right number will depend on your camera and the light, so you need to experiment.

The next thing is to get into shooting raw. It will make it much easier to manage highlights and detail in dark feathers, once you've climbed the learning curve.

You said you can't stand how long it takes to review many raw images... have you tried something like FastStone, which is a free image viewer that shows the embedded JPEG in a raw file as quick as you can hit the arrow keys (on a fast PC  ). It shouldn't really take any longer than it takes to review JPEGs.

WilbaW's gear list:WilbaW's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Mark II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow