Overexposed - some help please.

Started Mar 23, 2014 | Discussions thread
RayGuselli
OP RayGuselli Forum Pro • Posts: 15,050
Re: Overexposed - some help please.

Van Griff wrote:

RG

When shooting with a bright background I find the best solution to be:

1. Shoot RAW to allow greatest PP latitude.

2. I set my FN button to Lock Exposure.

3. Set your Exposure Compensation to +2 [experiment with a range of +1 - +3].

4. Set spot metering.

5. Lock your exposure on the brightest point in the image . . . be it sky . . . or snow . . . or whatever appears to be the brightest spot.

6. Adjust your exposure to suit using the lowest ISO possible and required aperture and shutter speeds.

7. Re-frame and capture your image.

8. Check for blinkies and expose to the right on your histogram . . . adjust and re shoot the image if necessary.

9. You should end up with an exposure where your brightest point is not overblown . . . other areas may be underexposed but this is usually fairly easily successfully corrected in PP.

The key is to spot meter on the brightest part of the image with approx +2 EC . . . lock your exposure meter . . . and set your ISO / Aperture / SS . . . accordingly.

Good luck with it!

Best

V G

Hi Van Griff....really appreciate such a detailed explanation...I really need to read, understand and learn this...and I will...
Much appreciate your time and help...it is MUCH appreciated.
Best wishes
Ray

-- hide signature --

VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE...HOPE YOU LIKE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77568703@N03/

RayGuselli's gear list:RayGuselli's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow