If Samsung...

Started Mar 20, 2014 | Discussions thread
Escaping Contributing Member • Posts: 837
Re: I have no problem with Samsung

I am all for competition.

Even though I may never buy the Samsung because I dont want to start getting into yet another system (I already have the Nikon FX, DX, CX, Pentax K, mFT ... too many already), it is good to see Samsung (as well as Sony) creating innovative products that will make the Nikon and Canon think and force the market leaders to continue to innovate.

As Nikon V series goes, I think the most critical piece of Nikon strategy is they are missing the mark as pricing goes.  If a product is priced right (ie. not too high), the market would be more acceptable to its gaps in the feature set. Just look at how hot the V1 was when its price was dropped to less than half its original price. People were screaming murder when it was priced at $800-900 but could not praise it enough when it was at $300-400.

Back to the V3, if Nikon launches this V3 at $700-750 for the kit instead of $1200, I am sure there is less screaming.  The same goes with the Df that is also in my opinion priced too high at $2750; at $2000, we would hear a different story all together.

Competition is great and the Samsung NX mini at $500 may not put pressure on the V3, but it sure make Nikon worry about the Nikon S and J's position, which in turn will force Nikon to rationalize its Nikon 1 system pricing strategy.

Cheers to competition.

-- hide signature --

Escaping (CT, USA) www.pbase.com/cvanlang
D700 / D300 / D7100 / K-5 / K-m / G2 / GF1 / V1 / V2 / LX7 / X20

Escaping's gear list:Escaping's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Fujifilm X30 Panasonic LX100 +40 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow